I’ve mentioned before that part of leaping is taking off on faith without necessarily knowing all the facts. As a result, another important part of leaping is being able, when new facts are presented, to change direction mid-leap.
In my last entry to you, dear reader, I explained how I delayed posting about the legal repercussions of my arrest in Phoenix because I wanted to wait until I’d made up my mind. Less than two days after I posted my decision, the Wells Fargo Action group spoke with our attorneys, and, due to the information presented at that time, I’m changing my mind about going to trial.
In short, I am not going to be in Phoenix for tomorrow’s court date; I decided, along with many others of the group, to ask for one more continuance while we gather some final information before requesting a consolidated trial for those members who do not want to plead guilty.
As I said before, I never felt comfortable pleading guilty when I did not, in fact, feel guilty. But I weighed the potential benefits of repudiating the charge against the potential risks of drawing out the proceedings, and decided that for the greater purpose I might serve, I was not called to go to trial.
I still don’t feel called to go to trial—not the way some of my fellow Love People do. But our lawyer assured me that I could make my schedule clear about when I would not be available for trial (for example, when I will be out of the country in January), and they would do their best to schedule the trial for a date when the majority of us could make it. If it turns out to be scheduled on a date when I cannot go, then I can decide to change my plea, fly to Phoenix, and be done with it then.
With this new possibility changing the balance, in the end I want to be able to say that I stood with my Love People for as long as I could. I am grateful that this opportunity has opened up, so that I can make a final decision about whether I will ultimately go to trial or take the plea agreement after I know when the trial date is. Even though I am fond of leaping, I am also fond of operating with factual knowledge. I do not like throwing away opportunities unnecessarily.
This means that I will be humbly accepting any assistance you wish to give that will help me afford to travel to Phoenix (not, I think, by car this time) and pay a stipend to the lawyers. If you would like to donate online to a general fund, please visit the Standing on the Side of Love website and click on the “Donate” button in the top right corner. If you would like to offer me direct assistance, please email me at email@example.com, and we can work out an arrangement with which we are both comfortable.
Much love to you, dear reader. Si se puede!